THE PARKS FOUNDATION WHO WE ARE EVENTS SUPPORT THE PARKS
CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION

Kent County Parks Foundation
P.O. Box 230165
Grand Rapids, MI 49523
(616) 458-2080
pmccahill@kentcountyparksfoundation.org

DonateNow

PRESIDENT'S CORNER
Flower
Learn about the value of nature
>> MORE

NOW AVAILABLE
Full Circle Cover
A perfect gift, or addition to your library
>> MORE

Historic Fallasburg Park

Picturesque setting includes covered bridge, trails and relaxation

Fallasburg Park
1124 Fallasburg Road
Lowell, MI 49331

Kent County acquired the first 56 acres of Fallasburg Park in 1928. The site was located along a mile of frontage on the Flat River near the original settlement of Fallasburg in Vergennes Township. Flat land offered ideal sites for playgrounds and picnicking, while hilly and rugged terrain added to the park’s scenic beauty. Two small spring fed streams flowed through the park and practically every tree, shrub, vine and wildflower native to the area could be found within its borders.

Fallasburg Park first officially opened for public use in 1929 and soon became a popular site for large picnics and other activities. The park’s budget that year of $4,625 covered general maintenance and the purchase of new tables, benches, settees, stoves, horseshoe courts and the construction of two toilets and a backstop for the baseball diamond. Still, due to the park’s growing popularity, more improvements were needed. A special need was a shelterhouse, and there would be plenty of use for a bathhouse on the riverbanks, since an increasing number of persons were dressing in their cars and bathing in the river.

Through the years, the County continued to improve upon the facilities available to the public, adding regulation sized baseball diamonds, more horseshoe courts, play equipment for older children and sand boxes for younger ones. As it flowed past the largest of the picnic grounds, Page Creek offered an excellent place for children and adults to wade.

In 1961, Kent County finally expanded Fallasburg Park with two land purchases. One parcel of land added 96 acres and the other added eight. The eight-acre parcel included much-desired islands on the Flat River. Also, the extension of Montcalm Avenue opened up access to the new portions of the park. In 2007, a 20-acre parcel was added to extend the park like feel of the drive south of the covered bridge.

Today, Fallasburg Park remains one of the most popular of the County’s 37 parks. Each year, thousands of people enjoy the annual Fallasburg Fall Festival and thousands more picnic, hike, play sports, or just relax in this highly scenic park. The park also hosts a segment of the 4,000 mile long North Country National Scenic Trail, and a newly completed disc golf course is attracting attention from throughout the region.